whitewebbs logo round

Whitewebbs Golf Club

Beggars Hollow
Clay Hill
Enfield
Middlesex
EN2 9JW

Telephone
Clubhouse/Hall Hire
020 8363 2951

Email
wwgolfclub@btinternet.com

Pro Shop 
020 8363 4454

This website is sponsored by the following companies.

title fade hole 13a

WHITEWEBBS GOLF CLUB

Whitewebbs has a long and rich history

In 1570 a mansion of that name was owned by Dr Robert Huicke, physician to Henry VIII. The house was also reputed to have been one of the meeting places of the Gunpowder Plot conspirators but was demolished in 1790. The present house was built in 1791 by Dr Abraham Wilkinson, a notable agricultural improver. In recent times it has been used by the council as a home for the elderly and is currently a Toby carvery.

The Rose & Crown public house at the south western entrance to the course is reputed to have been the home of Dick Turpin's grandfather, while the northern entrance is the King & Tinker. Legend has it that James I who had been out hunting and stopped for refreshments met a 'tinker' who didn't realise who he was. The tinker, during conversation, expressed a wish to meet the King so off he rode with his new companion until they met the King's nobles whereupon the King's identity was disclosed. The tinker was frightened and begged for mercy but the King knighted him and the tinker spent his days within the royal court.

At one time the New River, constructed in the early 17th century by Sir Hugh Myddleton, to bring fresh water to London, ran through Whitewebbs estate and was carried over Cuffley Brook in a cast iron aqueduct built in 1820. However, the loop through Whitewebbs was abandoned in 1859 when work was carried out to straighten the New River, and fell into disuse. Today the remains of this can be seen as a grassy hollow running across the 10th, 11th, 15th, 16th and 17th holes. The Pumping Station which was built in 1898 to feed a loop of the New River is now a Transport Museum.

In 1931 the estate was bought from Sir Duncan Orr-Lewis by Enfield Urban District Council and Middlesex County Council and made into the public Golf Course.

The Course

The golf course, a gently undulating parkland course, originally constructed by Messrs Hawtree and JH Taylor Ltd, was opened in July 1932 and is set within Whitewebbs Park which encompasses a total area of 248 acres; 102 acres of which consist of woodlands and 146 acres of parklands. The clubhouse is situated at the south western end of Whitewebbs Park in Beggars Hollow, just off Clay Hill, and was formed on 25 September 1932.

Here are some pictures of the course taken this year.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player